What is done to assist tertiary institutions during the start-up phase?
- Create an overall awareness in the tertiary institution regarding the importance of adequate reading skills that form an important base for student’s academic and social growth.
- Underline the importance of a reading literacy program in the institution and the priority it should take with regards to decision making, focus and budgeting.
Establish Time Table
- Ensure that sufficient time is made available in the time table to ensure that students are exposed to one well structured, fun-filled and productive 40 minute session per week. This will maintain adequate reading skills and provide exercise to students who lack sufficient reading on their own.
Specify Computer Centre(s)
- Identify a suitable room or space that can be converted into a computer centre and dedicated to the project.
- Ensure that a sufficient number of computers are available to accommodate the biggest class with regards to the number of students in the class.
- Ensure that the ergonomic design is performed according to the prescribed guidelines.
- Mount all the equipment required.
- Identify the most suitable facilitator to successfully conduct and execute the reading improvement program in line with the priority it should take regarding the overall education and growth of students.
- Ensure participation from management which is an essential part of the success of a reading improvement project. Facilitators seldom realise the negative impact of students inadequate reading skills all over.
Ensure Facilitator Training
- Ensure proper facilitator training in the skills and art of learn to read as well as reading improvement.
- Supply specific learn to read as well as reading improvement training material and courses online to the benefit of facilitators.
- Activate the relevant programs as prescribed
- Register all participating students on the program.
- Determine the reading levels of all participating students.
- Analyse and interpret the results.
- Determine the learning strategy required based on the results.
- Set realistic reading improvement goals for each, section, department and student.
How are tertiary institutions supported on an ongoing base?
- Enhance, upgrade and improve our system.
- Implement system upgrades.
- Train facilitators in system upgrades.
- Solve problems regarding software.
- Provide technical support.
- Ensure that facilitators have access to our SM! online Training Academy at all times.
- Ensure individual student access to the system if required.
- Ensure that training standards are adhered to.
- Ensure that learning strategies are executed.
- Assist in problem solving and the setting and achieving of new targets.
- Monitor and evaluate progress against the pre-set reading improvement goals by analysing results.
- Determine learning strategies based on results.
- Set achievable goals and milestones.
- Analyse progress with regards to the goals and milestones set.
- Make recommendations with regards to the adopted learning strategy.
- Make recommendations to ensure that the reading centre / laboratory is managed productively.
- Evaluate the facilitators formally according to our national standards.
- Ensure that data is backed-up monthly for management and referral purposes.
Quarterly and Annually
- Prepare and produce student progress reports.
- Ensure that students are issued with attendance and/or achievement certificates based on results.
- Ensure that special certificates are presented as required.
- Ensure that facilitators are well prepared for the next term.
- Plan the continuation of the learning program and strategy for the next year.