What is done to assist schools during the start-up phase?
- Create an overall awareness regarding the importance of adequate reading skills forming an important base for learner’s academic and social growth.
- Underline the importance of a reading literacy program in the school and the priority it should take with regards to decision making, focus and budgeting.
Establish Time Table
- Ensure that sufficient time is made available in the time table to ensure that learners are exposed to at least one well structured, fun-filled and productive 40 minute session per week. This will maintain adequate reading and/or mathematics skills and provide exercise to learners who lack sufficient reading on their own.
Specify Computer Centre(s)
- Identify a suitable room or space that can be converted into a computer centre and dedicated to the project.
- Ensure that a sufficient number of computers are available to accommodate the biggest class with regards to the number of learners in the class.
- Ensure that the ergonomic design is performed according to the prescribed guidelines.
- Mount all the equipment required.
- Identify the most suitable educator(s) to successfully conduct and execute the reading and/or mathematics improvement program in line with the priority it should take regarding the overall education and growth of learners.
- Ensure participation from all educators in the school which is an essential part of the success of a reading improvement project. Educators seldom realise the negative impact of learners’ inadequate reading skills all over.
Ensure Educator Training
- Ensure proper educator training in the skills and art of learn to read as well as reading and mathematics improvement.
- Supply specific learn to read as well as reading and mathematics improvement training material and courses online to the benefit of educators.
- Download and install the relevant programs as prescribed.
- Activate the relevant programs as prescribed
- Register all participating learners on the program.
- Determine the reading and/or numeracy levels of all learners.
- Analyse and interpret the results.
- Determine the learning strategy required based on the results.
- Set realistic reading and/or mathematics improvement goals for each grade, class and learner.
How are schools supported on an ongoing base?
- Enhance, upgrade and improve our system.
- Implement system upgrades.
- Train educators in system upgrades.
- Solve problems regarding software.
- Provide technical support.
- Ensure that educators have access to our SM! online Training Academy at all times.
- Ensure that training standards are adhered to.
- Ensure that learning strategies are executed.
- Assist in problem solving and the setting and achieving of new targets.
- Monitor and evaluate progress against the pre-set reading and/or mathematics improvement goals by analysing results.
- Determine learning strategies based on results.
- Set achievable goals and milestones.
- Analyse progress with regards to the goals and milestones set.
- Make recommendations with regards to the adopted learning strategy.
- Make recommendations to ensure that the reading or mathematics centre/laboratory is managed productively.
- Ensure that data is backed-up monthly for management and referral purposes.
Quarterly and Annually
- Prepare and produce learner progress reports.
- Ensure that learners are issued with attendance and/or achievement certificates based on results.
- Ensure that special certificates are presented as required.
- Ensure that educators are well prepared for the next term.
- Plan the continuation of the learning program and strategy for the next year.